Tech Guide: Can’t a hacker leak WhatsApp chat to another person, just keep these 5 things in mind
- Chat during the day WhatsApp saves to cloud storage at night
- WhatsApp chat is encrypted, but content saved in the cloud is not encrypted
WhatsApp is considered to be the most secure messaging platform due to its end-to-end encryption technology. Even so, owning one is still beyond the reach of the average person. The celebrity’s WhatsApp chat went viral recently. Many questions then arose in the minds of the people for the security of WhatsApp.
SOURCE:: DIVYA BHASKAR
However, WhatsApp provides many security features to its users so that the account can be kept safe. Users need to follow certain rules to keep the chat secure. Here’s how you can prevent WhatsApp chat from leaking …
1. Disable cloud backup
Chat during the day WhatsApp saves in its cloud storage at night. This is because if the user uninstalls WhatsApp or opens an account in a new phone, old chat and media files of cloud storage can be recovered.
WhatsApp chat is encrypted, but cloud content is not encrypted. If a hacker gains access to your backup, he or she can easily back up the WhatsApp chat to another device and read it.
If you are worried that your WhatsApp chat will not fall into bad hands, disable the automatic cloud option immediately. However, doing so will not recover old chats once you uninstall WhatsApp.
Follow these steps to disable … WhatsApp Settings> Chats> Chat Backup> Back up to Google Drive option> select Never.
2. Check the manual encryption
WhatsApp chat is encrypted, but can also be checked automatically. To check, open the chat and click on the name and then click on the encryption option.
After tapping a popup will appear, it will show QR code and below 40 code. This is the security code. It is a WhatsApp identity, it can be shared with another person.
If you want to make sure your WhatsApp chat is secure, verify this code that appears on the phone with another user’s code. Don’t worry if both of you have the same code. Your chat is secure.
3. Two step verification
Two step verification can make the account more secure. If you have this feature enabled, every time you open an account on another device it will ask for a 6-digit code that only you know
Even if a hacker has access to your number or WhatsApp account details, he will not be able to use WhatsApp. Because it will need a 6 digit code to use.
Follow these steps to activate it. Menu> Settings> Account> Two-step verification> Enable. To activate this you will also need to provide an email address so that if you forget it the code can be recovered a second time.
4. Active Fingerprint / Face ID Security
- WhatsApp also offers biometric security. Users can keep WhatsApp safe with their fingerprint or face ID.
- Android users follow these steps to activate it .. Settings> Accounts> Privacy> Fingerprint Unlock.
- Apple users can also activate Face ID in the same way. The advantage is that the chat will be safe even if your phone is stolen or lost or in the hands of a stranger.
5. Don’t get caught up in scams
- Last but not least, don’t click on any unknown link in WhatsApp group without thinking. It could be spyware, which can steal your phone’s personal information.
- Also, do not download files sent to the inbox by any unknown number. However, the feature is available in WhatsApp to stay safe from it.
- This feature allows you to decide who can add you to a group and who can’t.
- To do this, follow these steps. Settings> Account> Privacy> Groups> My Contacts.
- Activating this feature prevents another person from adding you to an unknown group.